Eligibility for Home-Delivered Meals
- 60 years old and above or disabled if under 60
- Homebound and unable to prepare nutritious meals for oneself
The cost of the meal program to participants is based on their income and necessary expenses.
- In 2021, Meals on Wheels Rowan will provide free meals to 90 individuals who do not have sufficient financial resources to contribute to the cost of their meals.
- Care Coordinators use the participants' financial information and a sliding scale ranging from $2-$9 per meal to determine the participant's monthly meal program cost.
- The Meal Program Cost is $12 per meal.
Meals are delivered five days each week between the hours of 10:30 am and 12:30 pm. Participants must be at home to receive their meals.
- All meals should be refrigerated upon receipt.
- Each meal consists of one "hot" tray and one "cold" tray.
- Participants may reheat their "hot" tray in the microwave if they do not eat it when it arrives.
Each meal contains 1/3rd of the minimum daily nutritional requirements for senior adults.
- One 3-4 oz. serving of protein
- Two 1/2 cup servings of vegetables
- Two 1/2 cup servings of fruit
- One 1 1/2 - 2 oz. serving of grains (may be served as rice, pasta, bread, or dessert)
- 8 oz of 2% milk to fulfill the Daily Requirement
To meet national and state standards, each meal contains
- At least 700 calories
- Less than 1300 mg of sodium
- Less than 30% of its calories from fat
General Meal Information and Specialty Meals
- Our meals are "diabetic friendly" as there is no added sugar. Diabetics must limit carbohydrate intake as advised by their physician.
- Our meals contain no added salt. Participants are free to add seasoning as advised by their doctor.
- We eliminate the use of garlic and onion when possible to limit digestive issues.
- Currently, we do not provide medically tailored meals.
- Each monthly menu will include two Substitute Meals offerings. One substitute meal includes a meat entree and the other is a vegetable plate meal.
- These substitute meals meet the same criteria as meals listed on the monthly menu.
- Any participant may order a substitute meal in place of the menu offering.
- All substitute meal requests must be placed by noon on the previous business day.
Click HERE to view our Menu.
Special Additions to our Home-Delivered Meals Programs
Meals on Wheels partners with various organizations, churches, and groups to offer additional items to our meal participants.
When available, we provide:
- Daily Newspapers
- Birthday Bags
- Seasonal/Holiday Favors and Cards
- Fresh Produce
- Bottled Water
- Emergency Meals
- Electric Fans
- Over-the-Counter Medications
- Educational flyers on Health and Nutrition
- Information on various agencies who offer assistance to the elderly
- Pet Food & Basic Vet Care for our meal recipients' pet companions through our AniMEALS Pet Food Program.
Click the link above for more information on AniMEALS.