The information on this page is for those who are already volunteering and for new volunteers. You will find helpful hints, instructions, and procedures that will make volunteering to deliver meals a safe, productive and rewarding experience. If you are interested in signing up to volunteer, please visit our Volunteer Opportunities page.
Please be aware of the confidential nature of participant information. All route sheets must be returned for the protection of the participant. Do not reveal the participant's name or personal matters to anyone other than a Meals on Wheels staff member.
Pick Up and Delivery During the COVID-19 Crisis
Current Delivery Status:
- 3 Chilled Meals are delivered in a box each Monday.
- 2 Chilled Meals are delivered in a box each Monday.
Volunteer Teams and Additional Volunteers are needed every Monday and Thursday
- Sign in at your assigned pick up site between 10:30 and 11:00 am and put on your Volunteer Badge.
- The Site Coordinator will assist you in loading the meal boxes.
- Review your Route with the Site Coordinator to identify changes or special instructions.
- During delivery, contact the Meals on Wheels Office with any questions or concerns.
- Sign and return the route sheet to your pick-up site or scan and email it to email@example.com or mail it to Meals on Wheels Rowan, PO Box 1914, Salisbury NC 28145.
What to do if...
- The Participant does not answer their door - 1) Knock loudly, 2) call their name and 3) call the phone number listed for them on the route sheet. Double check the route sheet to see if there are special instructions about what to do if the participant is not home. If you cannot locate the participant, call the Meals on Wheels Rowan office immediately (before you leave their home) and we will call their emergency contact or ask local law enforcement to do a safety check. Leave a "We Missed You!" door hanger on their door. Do not leave the meal.
- Medical Emergencies - If you arrive to find a participant in immediate need of medical attention, please call 911! Do not attempt to move the participant or perform any medical procedures yourself. Stay with the participant until help arrives. Call the Meals on Wheels office to report the incident.
- If you notice a change in the condition of a participant or anything unusual on the route - If you observe a change in the condition of a participant or encounter anything unusual on the route, call the Meals on Wheels office. We will follow up on your report.
- Volunteer Safety - If you encounter an unsafe situation while delivering, do not deliver the meal. Use your own discretion and good judgment to determine for yourself if you feel unsafe. Please notify the Meals on Wheels office if such a situation occurs.
- If you are unsure about how to handle a situation - If at any time you are unsure of the proper course of action, call the Meals on Wheels office at 704-633-0352.
- Participant Contributions - Occasionally, participants may wish to make their monthly contribution to the Meals on Wheels program by sending it along with a volunteer. If you receive a contribution from a participant, please return it to the office and give it to a member of our staff.
- Absences - We know that, from time to time, things may occur that will prevent you from delivering a route on your assigned day. If you deliver as part of a church or business team, please call your team coordinator. Otherwise, contact the Meals on Wheels office as soon as possible so a substitute volunteer can be scheduled.
***Meals on Wheels Rowan does NOT follow local school cancellations. We may have the opportunity to deliver meals before inclement weather arrives. Meals on Wheels Rowan will announce any delivery cancellations or delays.
- We will post delivery updates on our Website at mowrowan.org, our Facebook page at facebook.com/mowrowan.org, our Twitter page at twitter.com/MOWRowan and on our outgoing office message at 704-633-0352.
- Our inclement weather updates will also be carried by:
• WSAT Radio - 1280AM/103.3FM
• WBTV Channel 3
• WCNC-TV Channel 6
• WSOC-TV Channel 9
- If you are unsure about whether Meals on Wheels will be open and delivering, please phone 704-633-0352 to confirm the cancellation before you venture out in unsafe driving conditions. If we plan to deliver, don’t hesitate to contact us if you are uncomfortable driving.
- Participants are given “Winter Weather Packs” with emergency meal supplies to cover days that our volunteers cannot deliver.
- Please address participants using his/her name.
- Show a genuine interest; be a good listener.
- Speak clearly and audibly. Many participants have hearing problems.
- Do not direct conversation towards a participant's illness or disability.
- Do not provide your personal contact information to participants.
- Please refrain from using your own money to meet a participant's needs.