In March 2020, Rowan Helping Ministries began offering a USDA Food Box drive-thru for their eligible clients. But the staff at Rowan Helping Ministries quickly realized that some of their clients had no transportation or were at high-risk for infection and unable to leave their homes.
As the staff from Rowan Helping Ministries and Meals on Wheels talked about the changes and challenges brought by the pandemic, they discovered a way to collaborate. Meals on Wheels had reduced their weekly deliveries and could offer a staff member and vehicle to deliver USDA Food Boxes to those clients who could not pick them up.
COVID-19 Grant funding helped get the program underway. Since then, grants to Rowan Helping Ministries and grants to Meals on Wheels have funded the program.
During 2020, the Meals on Wheels Rowan staff delivered USDA Food boxes 349 times.
Process for USDA Food Box Delivery
- Anyone interested in receiving USDA Food Boxes should contact Rowan Helping Ministries at 704-637-6838, ext. 106.
- The staff at Rowan Helping Ministries will determine eligibility.
- Families and imdividuals are eligible to receive USDA Food Boxes once every 30 days.
- Rowan Helping Ministries will contact Meals on Wheels to arrange for deliveries.
- Currently, Meals on Wheels delivers the USDA Food Boxes on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.