Grocery Purchasing and Delivery
Requests for Meals on Wheels services poured in during the first three months of the pandemic. As we interviewed potential participants, we discovered that many of these seniors could prepare their meals, but they needed help getting groceries. Many seniors do not know how to use online grocery ordering systems or have access to computers. We also find that many seniors have difficulty getting groceries due to a lack of transportation and reduced financial resources. Our Grocery Program fills in the gap for senior nutrition services.
The Meals on Wheels Grocery Program began as a response to the pandemic and continues to meet seniors' nutritional needs.
- Over 60 years old
- Remaining at home for health and safety
- Lack of transportation
- Lack of financial resources
- Ineligible for USDA Food Boxes
- Single individual or Couple - a household of 2 or fewer individuals
Grocery Program Process
- Complete a referral application online or over the phone.
- Complete a phone interview with a Care Coordinator.
- The Care Coordinator will assist you in setting up a grocery delivery schedule.
- Provide a list of groceries 2-3 days in advance of anticipated delivery.
- A staff member or volunteer will confirm a shopping and delivery day with you.
- You must be at home to receive your groceries.
Cost of the Grocery Program
Currently, there is no cost for the service. Meals on Wheels will periodically provide each participant with the opportunity to make a contribution in support of the Grocery Program.
Funding for the Grocery Program
The Grocery Program is currently funded by the Rowan County United Way COVID-19 Fund, grants from the Blanche & Julian Robertson Family Foundation and the Margaret C. Woodson Foundation, and local donors. Meals on Wheels Rowan continues to seek additional funding from local and regional foundations, corporations, and donors.
Grocery Program Volunteers
- Volunteers come to the Meals on Wheels office to pick up the grocery list, partipant contact information, and a grocery store gift card.
- After delivering the groceries to the partipant, the volunter returns the grocery receipt and gift card to the Meals on Wheels office.
- Volunteers ususally shop for two participants at a time.
- Sign up to be a Grocery Program Volunteer by completing the online volunteer form or contacting our office at 704-633-0352.