Read below for the answers to some frequently asked questions about our Meals on Wheels Rowan program. Additional information about our program, how to volunteer and how to donate can be accessed from the main menu. Contact us through the Contact Us page or call 704-633-0352 if you have additional questions.
Q. Who is eligible for home-delivered meals?
Rowan County Citizens who are:
- Homebound Seniors, 60 years of age and older, who are unable to grocery shop or prepare nutritious meals for themselves.
- Homebound Disabled Citizens, certified by the Social Security Administration, who are unable to grocery shop or prepare nutritious meals for themselves.
Q. Are home-delivered meals free?
No, everyone is asked to contribute as they are able based on a sliding scale.
- We reserve 60 spaces for those without the resources to pay for their meals.
- The cost for the meal program ranges from $1 - $7 per home-delivered meal.
- 65% of the participants pay less than $2 per meal.
- Donations help pay for 80% of the total meal program cost for a year.
Q. Who prepares the meals?
Our food service provider is Golden Corral of Lexington. Each meal must have less than 1300mg of sodium and a minimum of 700 calories. The menu is approved by a registered dietitian. The meals look appetizing and are tasty. Fresh and fresh frozen foods are used as often as possible.
Q. Who delivers the meals?
Volunteers deliver over 225 meals each day on 27 routes across the county. They pick up meals in insulated totes at one of six meal pick-up sites and return the totes and signed route sheets to the same location.
Q. How much does the home-delivered meals program cost?
The home-delivered meal program costs $7 per meal.
- Direct meal cost
- Transportation to volunteer meal pick-up sites
- Site Coordinators, Meal Coordinator, and Program Director
- Participant assessments, registration, and reassessment
- Volunteer recruitment, orientation, and training
Q. Are home-delivered meals a good value?
Yes! Where else can you buy a meat, two vegetables, two fruits, bread or dessert and a beverage for $7 and have it delivered?
Q. Does Meals on Wheels Rowan get any federal or state funding?
Yes. Meal on Wheels Rowan received $24,000 in 2017-2018 from the Home Care Community Block Grant. This money provided meals to 13 individuals for the year.
For the current year 2018-2019, Meals on Wheels Rowan is slated to receive $58,000 from the Home Caer Community Block Grant. These grant funds will provide meals to 31 individuals for the 2010-29019 grant year,
Q. Where does Meals on Wheels Rowan get the rest of their funding?
Meals on Wheels Rowan gets additional funding from individuals, foundation grants, church partners, businesses, and fundraising activities.
Q. How many people receive meals each day?
Currently, Meals on Wheels Rowan provides over 225 meals each Monday - Friday.
Q. Do you have a waiting list?
Yes. Our waiting list varied from 25 - 48 during 2017 - 2018. Our current budget can support 225 - 230 meals per weekday.
Q. What will it take to serve more meals?
To serve more meals, we need to raise another $1,875 per person. To serve 50 more people, we must raise $93,750 more than our current budget.